Karachi, August 03, 2022: The government of Sindh has increased the non-development budget for Department of Empowerment-Persons Disabilities from Rs. 4.002 billion in CFY 2021-22 to Rs. 4.113 billion for FY 2022-23.
Currently, the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities runs 67 Special Education centers throughout the province by providing education, rehabilitation and skill development through vocational training according to their disabilities and needs.
Some Major milestones achieved by the department include:
- Special CNICs are being issued from NADRA to the Persons with Disabilities through one window operation facility in the province.
- Rules for recruiting differently abled, including visually challenged persons to posts of BS-01 to BS-15 have been formulated and adopted.
- Repair and renovation of 21 Special Education Centers across the province has been completed.
- Sindh Persons with Disabilities Data Base Management Project (SDDMP) is underway and will be completed for making more effective policies for the betterment of persons with disabilities in the province.
- Stipend of Rs. 2,000 and Pick & drop facility is being provided to 3550 enrolled children with disabilities through more than 100 buses and vans throughout the province.
- Nine (09) vehicles for special children will be added in the fleet for pick and drop of the children of the province by June 30th.
Some of the major targets for the next financial year are:
- Establishment of Special Education & Rehabilitation Complex at Tando Muhammad Khan with the estimated cost of Rs. 406.783 million.
- 02 new Special Education Centres will be completed at Sukkur and Sakrand through ADP schemes Establishment of Adult Autism Centre at Korangi through ADP program.
- 02 Autism Rehabilitation Centres will be established at Benazirabad and Hyderabad.