Karachi, August 02, 2022: The government of Sindh has increased the allocation for the social welfare department to Rs. 3.03 billion in the Financial Year 2023 against the allocation of Rs. 18.6 billion in the CFY 2021-22.
This increase in allocation will be used to provide living facilities for street children, senior citizens, and the transgender community in the province while a center for rehabilitation of Drug Addicts is also being established in Karachi that is to be completed in the financial year 2023.
Meanwhile, some major achievements of the Social Welfare Department are:
- Sindh Child Protection Authority has established Child Protection Units (CPUs) in all 30 Districts of Sindh Province.
- 03 orphanage centers are being run under the control of Social Welfare Department one each at Karachi, Hyderabad and Sukkur.
- Center for Senior Citizens in Karachi is also near completion.
- Child Helpline (1121) has been established across the province to provide quick referral mechanism if any incident of violation of child rights is reported from any part of the province.
- Established ‘Dar ul Atfal’ for rehabilitation of street children in Karachi to cater to 300 children (200 boys, 100 girls) with hostel facility at Korangi.
Targets for FY 2023
- Establishment of Rehabilitation Centers for Senior Citizen across 30 districts of the province.
- Establishment of 28 orphanage centers across the province.
- Establishment of a purpose built transgender center in Hyderabad.