Karachi, August 01, 2022: The government of Sindh is to launch a new power policy as well as a policy framework for mini/micro grid through solar and hybrid technology which shall meet the current electricity shortfall within provincial boundary.
“The new policy will be aimed not only at generating additional electricity, but it specifically focuses on boosting and facilitating both private and foreign investments to fully exploit conventional as well as renewable energy sources,” stated Chief Minister Sindh in his budget speech.
To further this objective, he added, lucrative and investor friendly Renewable Energy Policy, dedicated Land grant Policy 2015 and one window facility for investors have already been put in place.
For the current financial year, he added, the major target of the government of Sindh is the exploitation of indigenous resources for generation of electricity and fulfilling the energy demand of underserved and unserved areas of Sindh.
“I can proudly say that we have achieved almost all goals set under the Power Policy of Government of Sindh launched in 2015 by tapping the resource of Thar coal, brought private investment in Gas and Renewable Energy sector, and successfully implemented Alternative Energy Policy 2006 during last few years. As a result, we have achieved several targets set for CFY 2021-22 and have planned a number of goals for FY 2022-23,” stated the CM.
Meanwhile, the non-development budget for energy sector by the government of Sindh has been increased from Rs 23.27 billion for CFY 2021-22 to Rs 30.375 billion in the FY 2022-23.
Major achievements in Energy sector in FY 2021-22
- Recovered Rs 44 million on account of electricity duty paid by distribution companies in Sindh and self-generating units of electricity
- Government of Sindh has acquired 2.5% working interests in 06
- Government of Sindh has acquired 2.5% working interests in 06 exploration blocks in Sindh under Petroleum (Exploration & Production) Policy 2012 through a Company namely Sindh Energy Holding Company (SEHCL). These blocks are Armala, Ranipur, Zorgarh and Malir, Shahbandar, Khipro East, Hub blocks operated by OGDCL & PPL.
- Installed total of 30.5 MW solar systems in Government Hospitals and other Public sector Buildings in Karachi & Hyderabad under Sindh Solar Energy Project (SSEP)
Targets for FY 2022-23
Government of Sindh through Directorate of Alternative Energy has developed Sindh Waste to Energy Policy, 2021 which is first of its kind in Pakistan. Under this policy the Department has issued 4 LOIs and 1 LOI to Waste to RDF power developer.
During 2022-23 Energy Department plans are to solarize primary health facilities in 10 districts i.e. Karachi, Hyderabad, Tando M. Khan, Thatta, Sujawal, Umerkot, Tharparkar, Sukkur, Kamber Shahdadkot & Jacobabad and Government schools in 10 districts i.e. Dadu, Shikarpur, Shaheed Benazirabad, Larkana, Tharparkar, Umarkot, Sanghar, Kamber Shahdadkot, Badin & Sujawal.
Government is also planning to solarize water pumping units in Tharparkar, prisons, public health facilities/stations in Sindh for this purpose funds to the tune of Rs 472 million have been allocated in the budget.
Planning to initiate Sindh Domestic Biogas Programme throughout Sindh for provision of domestic type biogas plants in which the subsidy will be offered to the households containing required number of animals/manures producing biogas for cooking.
Currently STDC is working on the evacuation of 275 MWs renewable energy of 05 Wind Power Plants (WPPs) in Jhimpir Area into K-Electric network. The infrastructure of the scheme i.e. Transmission Line network and Grid Station will be constructed by STDC and tariff will be awarded by NEPRA. The project is in advanced stage and Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) has already been signed between K-E, STDC & 05 WPPs.
Other mega projects:
- Energy department is executing the KWSB Greater Water Bulk Supply KIV Project through STDC. For this purpose construction of 132 KV STDC Grid Station near K-IV Pumping Station and Construction of around 20 KM 132 KV Double Circuit Transmission Line on loop-in & loop-out arrangement between HESCO Jhimpir and Thatta Grid to supply 50 MW Power to K-IV Pumping Station is underway with an estimated cost of Rs 1.7 billion.
- Amreli Steels Limited Project: Construction of Double Circuit Transmission Line for the supply of 200 MW hybrid renewable energy on B2B Basis.
- Engro Energy Limited Project: Energy Department Government of Sindh and STDC has recently entered into a MoU with Engro Energy Limited for supplying of 400 MW hybrid renewable energy on B2B basis for which Transmission Line to be constructed by STDC.
- KWSB Greater Water Bulk Supply K-IV Project: Allocation of 80% Loan to be financed through Sindh Energy Holding Company (SEHCL) or Government of Sindh.
- Construction of 220 KV Double Circuit Transmission Line of 24 Kilometers length.
- Establishment of Energy Efficiency & Conservation Agency for promotion and implementation of National Energy Efficiency & Conservation Policy in Sindh.
- The department is working on wind and solar data for exploration of new wind corridors, in addition, data of livestock is also being gathered for installation of biogas plants at domestic level.
- Identification of new wind corridors for the development of new Wind Power Projects so that to achieve Alternative and Renewable Energy Policy (ARE) targets of 2025 and 2030.