Jeddah, May 21, 2019: Saudi Arabia’s airforces intercepted two ballistic missiles on Monday, including one heading for Makkah and the other for Jeddah, Al Arabiya reported, citing eyewitnesses.
The weapons were fired by Houthi militants from Yemen, the report said.
The kingdom’s air defense forces destroyed the ballistic missiles over Taif.
Saudi authorities are yet to issue a formal statement.
The Yemeni government said that it strongly condemned the targeting of Makkah, adding that the attempted attack on the holy site was “a full-fledged terrorist act”.
Saudi Arabia has been targeted by hundreds of missile attacks since entering the Yemen civil war in 2015 to support ousted President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi against the Houthis.
Last week, Colonel Turki al-Maliki, spokesperson for the Saudi-led Arab coalition fighting in Yemen said the Houthis have fired 226 rockets towards Saudi Arabia.